Upliftment and Empowerment Projects
Heritage Tours supports a number of locally conceived and managed not-for- profit empowerment projects to uplift people one by one.
Your trip with us already supports these projects. Our connection to them allows you the opportunity, should you wish, to visit some of the projects and meet some of the visionaries who run them and the often equally remarkable people who benefit from their programs. Visit Responsibility Matters.
- Meet locals involved in micro-projects and NGO’s in South African townships, including: after-school programs teaching dance, music, and art, a project converting abandoned lots and organic gardens, teaching entrepreneurship, a program creating safe spaces for girls and women, programs for HIV-affected kids, children’s shelters, special-needs programs, LGBT programs, senior citizen programs, anti-drug efforts, and programs to raise environmental awareness.
- Your kids can conduct a soccer workshop in an after-school soccer project in one of the townships. There’s nothing like bonding over a soccer ball.
- Visit a women’s group comprised of members of different tribal groups in Kenya, whose goals are educating women about environmental conservation and sustainable practices.
- Cooking lesson in a not-for-profit school set up for locals in one of the townships near Cape Town. This school has placed well over 1,000 graduates in local restaurants and hotel kitchens.
- Volunteer in a variety of local projects.
- Spend time with a former ANC freedom fighter and a former political prisoner of Robben Island to hear his personal experiences and gain insight into today’s South Africa.
- Dinner with an impassioned South African gentleman who left a successful business career to provide guidance and strategy to a number of NGOs in South Africa.
We have plenty more up our sleeves. Ask us.